Back to top

Analyst Blog

This page is temporarily not available.  Please check later as it should be available shortly. If you have any questions, please email customer support at support@zacks.com or call 800-767-3771 ext.  9339.

Following the approvals from the U.S. Department of Justice and European Commission last week, Delta Air Lines (DAL - Analyst Report) completed the acquisition of a 49% stake in British carrier Virgin Atlantic from Singapore Airlines. The remaining 51% stake is retained by Richard Branson's Virgin Group.

Delta and Virgin Atlantic agreed on a code-sharing deal across 108 routes connecting 66 destinations across North America and the UK from Jul 3. Virgin Atlantic will put up its code on 91 Delta itineraries that cover both trans-Atlantic and domestic U.S. networks. On the other hand, Delta will have its code on 17 Virgin Atlantic routes, including the ones connecting London to Manchester, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Following this agreement, customers of both Delta and Virgin Atlantic will enjoy each other’s expanded network as well as earn and redeem points for loyalty programs on each carrier.

However, the airlines are yet to receive the antitrust immunity permit of the U.S Department of Transportation for the proposed joint venture to operate nonstop flights between the U.S. and the UK. With the final consent expected to come in the third quarter of 2013, the Delta- Virgin Atlantic joint venture will be completed in early 2014.  

In December last year, Delta confirmed its plans to buy the stake in Virgin Atlantic and gain substantial control over the New York to London network – one of the busiest air itineraries across the globe.

This partnership will entitle Delta and Virgin Atlantic to gain 36% access to the New York-London travel route, second to the 51% control exercised by a partnership of AMR Corp.’s American Airlines and British Airways. United Continental Holdings (UAL - Analyst Report) will have the third position with 13% of the market share.

Delta management stated that all jets flying between the U.S. and London-Heathrow will offer fully flat-bed seating arrangement, extra legroom and more reclining standard seats. There will be additional facilities like on-board on demand audio and video entertainment options. The airline aims to launch in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity on international flights next year.

We believe that Delta-Virgin Atlantic alliance will render additional frequent quality travel options for the trans-Atlantic flyers. The amalgamation of Virgin Atlantic’s hefty slots at the Heathrow airport and Delta’s commanding position over the U.S. airline network are expected to work in favor of passengers with extensive travel plans. This will hugely benefit customers with expanded and enhanced flight connectivity to key markets, better pricing and suitable booking options.

Delta operates with the likes of Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV - Analyst Report) and carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).
 

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

Learn more

Start for as little as $4.50 per trade.

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
DIXIE GROUP DXYN 15.84 +7.90%
BOFL HOLDING BOFI 85.30 +4.97%
RAMBUS INC RMBS 12.31 +4.41%
VIPSHOP HOLD VIPS 148.73 +4.35%
NETFLIX INC NFLX 345.74 +4.32%