Back to top

Analyst Blog

MKS Instruments, Inc. (MKSI - Analyst Report) reported adjusted earnings per share of 14 cents, beating the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 12 cents. However, the year-over-year financial results for the second quarter of 2013 were weak with a drop in both earnings as well as revenues. Earnings dropped 60.0% year over year.

Revenues

Net sales dropped 11.5% year over year to $156.9 million. Reported revenues, however, beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $156.0 million, marginally.

Revenues from the sale of Products came in at $132.5 million and accounted for 84.5% of total revenue, while sales from Services came in at $24.4 million, accounting for the remaining 15.5%.

Margins/Costs

MKS Instruments’ cost of revenues dropped 5.9% from the year-earlier quarter to $95.0 million in the second quarter. This resulted in a gross margin of 39.5%, declining 360 basis points (bps) year over year. SG&A (selling, general and administrative) expense was $34.8 million, up 7.0% year over year. The company reported operating margins of 6.6%, plunging 940 bps year over year.

Financial Update

Cash and cash equivalents at the end of second-quarter 2013 were $235.7 million, compared with $266.7 million at the end of the preceding quarter.

During the quarter, MKS Instruments paid a quarterly cash dividend of 16 cents per share. The company also repurchased 46K shares worth $1.2 million in the quarter.

Outlook

Management believes the semiconductor markets will stabilize over the next few quarters. Accordingly, revenues are expected in the range of $155.0 million to $170.0 million in third-quarter 2013. The company also expects to generate earnings per share in the range of 14 cents to 26 cents.

The semiconductor industry is in the process of gaining traction in the coming quarters, after facing a downturn over the past few quarters.

Other Stocks to Consider

Entegris, Inc. (ENTG - Snapshot Report) released its second-quarter results on Jul 23, 2013. The company reported earnings per share of 15 cents, beating the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 11 cents by 36.4%.

Cohu, Inc. (COHU - Snapshot Report) is expected to release its second-quarter results after the market closes on Jul 31, 2013. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the quarter is a loss of 13 cents.

Brooks Automation, Inc. (BRKS - Snapshot Report) is expected to release its fiscal third-quarter 2013 results after the market closes on Aug 8, 2013. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the quarter is 3 cents.

MKS Instruments currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
GREEN PLAIN… GPRE 36.46 +3.79%
MATRIX SERV… MTRX 30.90 +2.93%
ENZO BIOCHE… ENZ 5.20 +2.77%
GENTIVA HEA… GTIV 15.82 +2.73%
VIPSHOP HOL… VIPS 191.34 +2.23%