Back to top

Analyst Blog

SunCoke Energy Inc. (SXC - Snapshot Report) received a 10-year extension of its existing agreement with steel making giant ArcelorMittal (MT - Analyst Report) for the supply of 1.22 million tons of metallurgical (met) coke from its Indiana Harbor cokemaking plant annually. The cokemaking plant is primarily owned by SunCoke Energy (85%) while DTE Energy Company (DTE - Analyst Report) holds the remaining 15%.

Coke is the primary raw material used in the production of steel. The renewed contract is expected to come into effect from Oct 1, 2013 and the conditions remain more or less unchanged from the previous contract.

These include continuing pass-through of costs, recouping operating and maintenance expenses subject to certain metrics and price adjustments per ton of coke to recognize the roughly $85 million capital investment incurred for revamping and upgrading the Indiana Harbor facility.

The plant retrofit tasks are projected to be concluded by the first quarter of 2014. However, upgrades related to the replacement of equipment with long-lead order will take time and will be entirely implemented in early 2015.

SunCoke Energy expects a substantial boost in its operation and financial results in 2014 on account of these measures although the full positive impact will be realized in 2015. SunCoke Energy and ArcelorMittal’s business relationship goes a long way with the latter being one of SunCoke Energy’s key clients.

The company has been delivering met coal from the Indiana harbor plant since 1998 and was the first to implement its heat recovery technology. With the deal supposed to expire in 2013, getting the extension was SunCoke Energy’s primary agenda.

Located in East Chicago, Ind., the cokemaking plant is central to SunCoke Energy’s operations. The company has been working to improve the plant’s production capabilities. Recently, it acquired Lakeshore Coal Handling Corporation from Beemsterboer Corp. which will offer coal handling and blending services.

The contract renewal is a major catch for SunCoke Energy this year which will offer a steady revenue stream for a decade. In addition, the company’s Brazil operations are poised to gain from increasing steel demand as the country plays host to important events like the World Cup Football and Olympics in 2014 and 2016, respectively.

However, the persistent weakness in met coal prices remains a concern. Currently, the company holds a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). Meanwhile, a coal market operator looking good at the moment is Zacks Ranked #1 (Strong Buy) Alliance Resource Partners LP (ARLP - Snapshot Report).

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
ERBA DIAGNO… ERB 3.00 +3.09%
SANCHEZ ENE… SN 34.18 +2.67%
THE PANTRY… PTRY 21.02 +2.09%
INTEL CP INTC 35.15 +1.88%
CLAYTON WIL… CWEI 117.30 +1.78%