Back to top

Analyst Blog

The Walt Disney Company (DIS - Analyst Report), along with its joint venture partner Shanghai Shendi Group, has decided to invest an additional $800 million (5 billion Yuan) to speed up the expansion of Shanghai Disney Resort. Originally, the total investment was pegged at $4.4 billion.

Most of the additional investment will be directed toward adding new attractions that will increase footfall at the park when it opens in 2015.

An anticipated boom in China’s travel and tourism market has prompted Disney to increase investment in the country. As per McKinsey, the number of upper-middle class and well-off households in China is likely to rise 18% annually from 2012 to 2022. Further, as per PhoCusWright, the Chinese travel market is expected to grow 34% from 2012 to 2015. Additionally, a 330 million strong population resides within the 3 km travel radius of the resort.

Disney will continue to hold 43% stake in the resort while Shanghai Shendi will own the remaining 57%. The additional investment will be made on a pro-rata basis and no third-party debt will be incurred for the resort expansion.

Disney, which competes with CBS Corp. (CBS - Analyst Report) and Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (FOXA - Analyst Report), had begun the construction of Shanghai resort in 2011. This is the first Disney theme park in Mainland China. Disney had first ventured into China by opening Hong Kong Disneyland in 2005.

Disney has been on a roll for quite sometime now. The company posted earnings of $1.04 per share for the first-quarter of fiscal 2014, which beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 91 cents and rose 32% year over year. Results were driven by double-digit revenue growth across Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products and Interactive businesses.

Moreover, in the past 10 quarters, the company has beaten the Zacks Consensus Estimate by an average of 5.3%.  With a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy) and positive Earnings ESP of 1.03%, the company is set to beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate this quarter as well. Disney is expected announce second-quarter fiscal 2014 earnings on May 6, 2014.

Key Pick from the Sector

Another media stock worth investment is Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF - Analyst Report), which sports a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy).

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
SUPER MICRO… SMCI 27.00 +10.25%
CANADIAN SO… CSIQ 38.34 +8.18%
BANCO DO BR… BDORY 16.78 +8.05%
CENTURY ALU… CENX 26.97 +7.97%
WILLDAN GRO… WLDN 11.38 +5.86%