Grab your pencils! It's time for a pop quiz.
Many popular American brands are actually owned by larger corporations. Let's see how well you know the parents of these well-known brands:
1. Ben & Jerry's is famous for its ice cream and hippy-like culture. But which conglomerate bought the brand back in 2001?
A. Proctor & Gamble (PG)
B. General Mills (GIS)
C. Unilever (UL)
D. ConAgra Foods (CAG)
2. With over 1,500 locations, Chili's Bar & Grill is ubiquitous. But the restaurant chain, along with Maggiano's Little Italy, is actually part of which company?
A. Brinker International (EAT)
B. DineEquity (DIN)
C. Darden Restaurants (DRI)
D. YUM! Brands (YUM)
3. Fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger founded the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation in 1984. But which corporation, which also owns Calvin Klein, among others, bought it for $3 billion in 2010?
A. Guess?, Inc. (GES)
B. G-III Apparel Group (GIII)
C. Oxford Industries (OXM)
D. PVH Corp (PVH)
4. An investment from McDonald's (MCD) helped Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) expand in its early years. But which restaurant company currently owns Chipotle's competitor Qdoba?
A. The Wendy's Company (WEN)
B. Jack in the Box, Inc. (JACK)
C. Sonic Corp (SONC)
D. The Cheesecake Factory (CAKE)
5. Although you won't find it in its name, approximately 1/3rd of this retailer's total sales comes from the Anthropologie brand:
A. Chico's FAS (CHS)
B. Urban Outfitters (URBN)
C. Express, Inc. (EXPR)
D. Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF)
6. Jack Daniels was founded in Lynchburg, Tennessee in 1875. But it has actually been a subsidiary of which company since 1956?
A. Diageo (DEO)
B. Prestige Brands (PBH)
C. Brown-Forman Corporation (BF.A)
D. Constellation Brands (STZ)
7. Which of the following companies owns a portfolio of well-known brands like Victoria Secret, Bath & Body Works and White Barn Candle?
A. Limited Brands (LTD)
B. Genesco (GCO)
C. Collective Brands (PSS)
D. Ascena Retail Group (ASNA)
Post your score below. You're on the honor system!
1.C 2.A 3.D 4.B 5.B 6.C 7.A