Back to top

Analyst Blog

Zacks Equity Research

Eni Set to Start Drilling at Goliat

STO E

 ZacksTrade Now

This page is temporarily not available.  Please check later as it should be available shortly. If you have any questions, please email customer support at support@zacks.com or call 800-767-3771 ext.  9339.

The Norwegian unit of Italian energy giant Eni SpA (E - Analyst Report) − Eni Norge AS − has finally received approval from the Norwegian authorities for the start-up of its drilling operation in the much awaited Goliat oilfield in the Barents Sea.

The company said that it intends to start the drilling program this month for the estimated 50-day probe in production license 229. The appraisal well − 7122/7-6 − is the first in the venture and the Saipem semi-submersible rig Scarabeo 8 will perform the drilling operation.

Under the five-year, $840 million worth contract, this campaign includes the drilling of the additional 22 development wells apart from the appraisal well. The development well drilling is intended to start in November and will likely take three-and-a-half years.

The drilling campaign of the filed is already running three years behind schedule due to construction delays related to the field’s production unit at South Korean yard Hyundai Heavy Industries. Hence, the start-up of Goliat field, Norway’s first operating oilfield in the Barents Sea, was extended to the third quarter of 2014 from the earlier target of late 2013.

Owing to the delays and other manufacturing alterations on the floater, along with elevated equipment prices and longer lead times on deliveries, the cost of the project spiraled by 20% to $6.5 billion.

The field was awarded to Eni n the 'Barents Sea Round' in 1997 and hit its first oil in 2000. Eni operates the field with a 65% stake, while the state-run company Statoil ASA (STO - Analyst Report) enjoys the remaining 35% interest.

Apart from Statoil, Eni is one of the main operators on the Norwegian continental shelf since 1965. The company is well-established in all the three core areas on the shelf, i.e. the North Sea, the Norwegian Sea and the Barents Sea.

Eni retains a Zacks #3 Rank, which is equivalent to a short-term Hold rating. We also maintain our Neutral recommendation for the company.

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

Learn more

Start for as little as $4.50 per trade.

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
DIXIE GRP IN DXYN 15.84 +7.90%
BOFI HLDG IN BOFI 85.30 +4.97%
RAMBUS INC RMBS 12.31 +4.41%
VIPSHOP HOLD VIPS 148.73 +4.35%
NETFLIX INC NFLX 345.74 +4.32%