Back to top

Analyst Blog

Yesterday, in a surprising move, DISH Network Corp. (DISH - Analyst Report) stated its keenness to purchase the remaining 49% stake of 4G WiMAX wholesaler Clearwire Corp. for $3.30 per share. DISH, the second largest satellite TV operator in the U.S., is desperately trying to enter into the lucrative wireless market. Recently, DISH Network got the FCC nod to install a nationwide wireless network using its 40 MHz spectrums, which the company purchased in 2011.

On the other side, Sprint Nextel Corp. (S - Analyst Report), the 51% shareholder of Clearwire has given a $2.97 per share bid to acquire the remaining 49% of Clearwire last month. Sprint has undertaken a massive project to expand its LTE network. DISH’s proposal is undoubtedly better than Sprint’s but it is contingent upon Sprint’s decision to waive its own shareholder right, which in all likelihood, the company will not do.

Secondly, DISH’s proposal, has a total consideration of $5.15 billion and includes several conditions. Per the conditions, the company must get at least 25% of Clearwire’s controlling stake to nominate board members, it will pay $2.2 billion to get a 24% stake of 2.66 GHz spectrum of Clearwire, Clearwire will build and manage a wireless network for DISH and DISH will provide an additional $800 million to Clearwire to terminate its financing deal with Sprint. 

Clearwire stated that a special committee of its Board of Directors will discuss the proposal with DISH. At the same time, the company also mentioned that the special committee so far, has not made any change to its recommendation on the already submitted offer by Sprint.

We reaffirm our long-term Neutral recommendation on both DISH and Sprint. Currently, both the companies enjoy a short-term Zacks #3 Rank (Hold) on their respective stocks. Clearwire also enjoys a short-term Zacks #3 Rank (Hold) on its stock.

Please login to or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research


Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
UTD THERAPE… UTHR 117.83 +28.51%
TRIQUINT SE… TQNT 20.67 +6.52%
VASCO DATA… VDSI 14.77 +4.68%
BANCO DO BR… BDORY 15.53 +3.95%
STRATTEC SE… STRT 80.24 +3.00%