Back to top

Analyst Blog

Recently, DISH Network Corp. (DISH - Analyst Report) suffered a setback as Standard & Poor’s Rating Services (S&P) lowered its outlook on the company to Stable from Positive. The rating agency cited growing leverage of DISH coupled with uncertainty related to its wireless venture, as the primary reasons for this outlook downgrade. However, the S&P reiterated its existing corporate credit rating of DISH at “BB-“, which is three notches into the rating agency’s junk category.

Although DISH received the FCC approval to deploy a nationwide wireless network, it came with a restrictive condition. The FCC stated that DISH may start installing its nationwide wireless network using a truncated power level than what the company was initially holding. A reduction in DISH’s frequency level is required to avoid interference with an adjacent PCS H Block frequency that FCC will auction in 2013.

DISH’s plan for the wireless spectrum is not yet clear. Management said it may try to collaborate with several established telecom or tech companies to jointly establish a wireless network or it may even sell its airwaves for simple monetary gain. Recently, DISH decided to raise $1 billion of debt for general corporate purposes, which may include wireless and spectrum-related strategic transactions.    

In Jan 2013, DISH offered to purchase the remaining 49% stake of 4G WiMAX wholesalers Clearwire Corp. for $3.30 per share. In Dec 2012, Sprint Nextel Corp. (S - Analyst Report), the 51% shareholder of Clearwire, proposed a $2.97 per share bid to acquire the remaining 49% of Clearwire. DISH’s proposal has a total consideration of $5.15 billion and includes several conditions.

DISH is the second largest satellite TV operator in the U.S. after DIRECTV Inc. (DTV - Analyst Report). The pay-TV market is quickly becoming saturated and is highly competitive. In order to diversify its business model, DISH has decided to enter into the wireless market. Currently, DISH has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).  

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
SYNAPTICS I… SYNA 78.11 +8.14%
CENTURY ALU… CENX 19.88 +5.74%
GREEN PLAIN… GPRE 39.41 +5.12%
PILGRIM'S P… PPC 28.82 +3.08%
THE PANTRY… PTRY 18.41 +2.79%