Back to top

Image: Bigstock

L Brands to Sell 51% of Victoria's Secret U.K. Arm to Next

Read MoreHide Full Article

Women’s apparel retailer L Brands, Inc. (LB - Free Report) has been taking measures to fix its ailing Victoria’s Secret business. In recent developments, management has announced a partnership with the British clothing company Next PLC for the Victoria’s Secret unit in the United Kingdom and Ireland (“Victoria’s Secret U.K.”). A joint venture (“JV”) has been formed between Victoria’s Secret U.K. and Next PLC, where the JV will acquire the majority of the assets of the Victoria’s Secret U.K. business that is currently in administration. Per the accord, Next PLC will own a majority stake of 51% in the newly formed JV. This leaves L Brands with the balance 49% stake.

The latest JV will operate the entire Victoria’s Secret stores across the United Kingdom and Ireland, subject to agreeing to terms with the landlords. The U.K. online business is now operated by Victoria’s Secret in the United States and is likely to be folded into the JV in spring next year. However, the financial details of the agreement, which is subject to regulatory clearance, have been kept under covers. Earlier, L Brands had signed a deal with Sycamore Partners to sell 55% of stake in Victoria Secret for $525 million but that did not materialize.

Unsurprisingly, L Brands’ Victoria’s Secret business has been ailing with fading popularity among customers on rising competition from other intimate-apparel brands. After declining 45.6% in the first quarter of fiscal 2020, total sales at Victoria’s Secret segment declined 39% on a year-over-year basis during the second quarter. While store sales fell 70%, comparable-store sales declined 10% during the quarter under review. Additionally, adjusted operating loss for the segment was $38.9 million against adjusted operating income of $16.6 million in the year-ago period.

Revival Actions

On the flip side, L Brands is taking every step to improve the performance of Victoria’s Secret’s business, which involves inventory management, lowering of store-selling costs through changes in the management structure and labor model, and negotiations for ongoing rent relief. A store-optimization plan is also in the cards. The company remains on track to close approximately 250 stores in the current fiscal year.

While L Brands’ Victoria Secret label has been struggling, the company’s Bath & Body Works segment's performance has been commendable. The lineup witnessed total sales growth of nearly 13% during the second quarter of fiscal 2020, while comparable sales (stores and direct business) soared 123%. In fact, the brand’s direct channel sales performed remarkably, surging 191% in the said quarter.

Going ahead, management expects to keep gaining from the pent-up demand for hygiene products like soaps and sanitizers in this brand category. Body Care and Home Fragrance products have also been performing well. We note that the company, as part of its Go-Forward strategy, continues to be committed to make Bath & Body Works chain a “pure-play public company”.

Encouragingly, shares of this Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) have appreciated 80% and outperformed the industry’s rally of 25.7% in the past three months.

Key Picks in Retail

Target (TGT - Free Report) has a long-term earnings-growth rate of 7.2% and currently sports a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy). You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank stocks here.

Tapestry (TPR - Free Report) has a long-term earnings-growth rate of 10% and a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy).

Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM - Free Report) , also a Zacks Rank #2 stock, has a long-term earnings-growth rate of 9.2%.

Biggest Tech Breakthrough in a Generation

Be among the early investors in the new type of device that experts say could impact society as much as the discovery of electricity. Current technology will soon be outdated and replaced by these new devices. In the process, it’s expected to create 22 million jobs and generate $12.3 trillion in activity.

A select few stocks could skyrocket the most as rollout accelerates for this new tech. Early investors could see gains similar to buying Microsoft in the 1990s. Zacks’ just-released special report reveals 8 stocks to watch. The report is only available for a limited time.

See 8 breakthrough stocks now>>