For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – November 10, 2016 – Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks recently featured in the blog include GOL Linhas (NYSE:(GOL - Free Report) –Free Report),Copa Holdings (NYSE:(CPA - Free Report) –Free Report),Southwest Airlines (NYSE:(LUV - Free Report) –Free Report),Delta Air Lines (NYSE:(DAL - Free Report) –Free Report) and Alaska Air Group (NYSE:(ALK - Free Report) – Free Report).
Today, Zacks is promoting its ''Buy'' stock recommendations. Get #1Stock of the Day pick for free.
Here are highlights from Wednesday’s Analyst Blog:
Airline Stock Roundup: GOL, COPA, LUV and More
The past week saw Latin American carriers GOL Linhas (NYSE:(GOL - Free Report) – Free Report) and Copa Holdings (NYSE:(CPA - Free Report) – Free Report) reporting their respective earnings numbers for the third quarter of 2016. While GOL Linhas reported in-line earnings, its revenues fell year over year. Copa Holdings topped expectations on both fronts in the quarter.
On the non-earnings front, the biggest news maker was Dallas-based low cost carrier, Southwest Airlines (NYSE:(LUV - Free Report) – Free Report). Shares of the carrier gained following the favorable vote cast by its pilots to clear a pay-related deal, which will run through Aug 2020. Carriers like Delta Air Lines (NYSE:(DAL - Free Report) – Free Report) and Alaska Air Group (NYSE:(ALK - Free Report) – Free Report) also revealed their respective October traffic data last week.
On the price front, NYSE ARCA Airline index gained 4.15% in the past week.
Transportation - Airline Industry Price Index
(Read the last Airline Stock Roundup for Nov 02, 2016 ).
Recap of the Past Week’s Most Important Stories
1. Copa Holdings’ third-quarter earnings (on an adjusted basis) of $1.30 per share beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.28. Earnings were also significantly above the year-ago figure of 85 cents. Quarterly revenues improved 4% on a year-over-year basis to $569 million. Revenues also beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $545 million.
The year-over-year increase in the top line was primarily due to a 4.1% improvement in passenger revenues. Operating revenue per available seat mile improved 1.8%, whereas yield per passenger mile decreased 7.6%. Average fuel price per gallon declined 8.6% year over year. Passenger traffic (on a consolidated basis) climbed 12.7% and capacity expanded 2% during the quarter. Load factor climbed 790 basis points (bps) to 84.2% as traffic growth outweighed capacity expansion of this Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) carrier. You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank stocks here .
2. GOL Linhas reported third-quarter 2016 net profit of $91.0 million (approximately R$65.9 million). In the year-ago quarter, the company had incurred a net loss of R$2.1 billion. Also, the company posted breakeven results (or earnings per share of R$0.19) as against an expected loss of 11 cents. (Read more: GOL Linhas Posts Breakeven Results in Q3 Earnings ).
3. Pilots at Southwest Airlines approved a four-year contract to bolster their pay. The ratification of the contract will result in an immediate 15% percent pay hike for the more the 8,400 pilots covered under the deal. Moreover, the approval of the deal through Aug 2020, will allow a 3% raise to pilots, each in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. The new contract also includes provisions to boost retirement funding and aims to promote job security. The carrier also maintained its operating revenue per available seat mile guidance for the fourth quarter of 2016 (Read more: Southwest Airlines Pilots Approve Contract, Stock Up ).
4. At Delta Air Lines, revenue passenger miles (RPMs) – a measure of air traffic – dipped 0.3% to 17.57 billion in October, while capacity (available seat miles/ASMs) expanded 1.7%. Load factor declined 180 bps to 85.1% in the month as traffic contracted and capacity expanded. The company registered a completion factor of 99.4% with 92.1% of its flights on schedule (Read more: Delta Air Lines' October Traffic and PRASM Decrease ).
5. Alaska Air Group reported a 5.5% increase in October traffic. Capacity too increased 3.2%. Load factor climbed 190 bps to 84.2%. At the end of the first ten months of 2016, Alaska Air recorded 9.6% increase in RPMs to 30.5 billion, while ASMs grew 9.9% to 36.2 billion, both on a on a year-over-year basis. Load factor declined 30 bps to 84.2%.
Today, Zacks is promoting its ''Buy'' stock recommendations. Get #1 Stock of the Day pick for free.
About Zacks Equity Research
Zacks Equity Research provides the best of quantitative and qualitative analysis to help investors know what stocks to buy and which to sell for the long-term.
Continuous coverage is provided for a universe of 1,150 publicly traded stocks. Our analysts are organized by industry which gives them keen insights to developments that affect company profits and stock performance. Recommendations and target prices are six-month time horizons.
Strong Stocks that Should Be in the News
Many are little publicized and fly under the Wall Street radar. They're virtually unknown to the general public. Yet today's 220 Zacks Rank #1 "Strong Buys" were generated by the stock-picking system that has nearly tripled the market from 1988 through 2015. Its average gain has been a stellar +26% per year. See these high-potential stocks free >>.
Get the full Report on GOL - FREE
Get the full Report on CPA - FREE
Get the full Report on LUV - FREE
Get the full Report on DAL - FREE
Get the full Report on ALK - FREE
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss.
This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.