For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – May 24, 2018 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here: (https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/304689/5-top-energy-stocks-to-buy-right-now)
5 Top Energy Stocks to Buy Right Now
Welcome to Episode #131 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is joined by Sheraz Mian, Zacks Director of Research, to talk about their favorite topic: the energy sector.
The Hottest Sector of 2018
Investors have been ignoring the energy sector for at least three years. Can you blame them?
The energy stocks plunged to multi-year lows in 2016 and 2017 as crude fell into the $30s. Oil analysts were forecasting even more doom, with some predicting crude would fall under $20 a barrel.
It never did.
The energy stocks have recovered from the sell-off in fits and starts during that time, with at least one false bottom.
But now, in mid-2018, it appears, with crude above $70 a barrel for the first time in 3 ½ years and the stocks on a tear, that the worst is over.
If this is the beginning of the big energy turnaround, where do you want to invest?
Where to Invest? Many Different Energy Choices
1. Refiners: They have the best record year-to-date. The average return on those stocks is 23.5%.
2. Explorers & Producers (E&Ps)
5. Integrateds (aka Big Oil)
Where you invest will be determined by your risk tolerance and goals.
But here are 5 stocks that have solid Zacks Ranks and earnings are exploding higher.
Energy Stocks to Buy Now
1. Anadarko Petroleum (APC - Free Report) is one of the larger E&P companies with a market cap of $37.3 billion. It’s in the midst of a $3 billion share buyback and it hiked its dividend, which currently yields 1.5%. Shares are up 32% year-to-date but earnings are expected to rise 229%. It’s a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy).
2. WildHorse Resource Development (WRD - Free Report) is a mid-cap E&P based in Texas. It drills in the Eagle Ford and Northern Louisiana. Shares are up 45% year-to-date but earnings are expected to jump 290% year-over-year. It’s also a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy).
3. Lonestar Resources (LONE - Free Report) has a market cap of just $175 million. It’s an E&P which drills in the Eagle Ford. The company recently raised its full year production guidance after a strong start to 2018. It sees more active drilling in 2018. The insiders have been buying more shares in April and May 2018.
4. Pioneer Natural Resources (PXD - Free Report) is another big cap E&P. It specializes in the Permian Basin. Sheraz has recommended it as one of his top energy picks for the last two years. Earnings are expected to jump 212% year-over-year. Shares are up 17% year-to-date.
5. Chevron (CVX - Free Report) is one of the big integrated oil companies. Shares are up only about 2% year-to-date but are up well off their 2018 lows. Earnings are expected to rise 101% in 2018. Is this a buying opportunity in big oil?
What about the service stocks? In past podcasts, Sheraz has liked that niche. Should you consider some of those for your portfolio in 2018?
Sheraz also has his eye on a refiner. Is it too late to get into those?
Find out which one he likes and what he thinks about the rest of the refiners on this week’s podcast.
[In full disclosure, Tracey owns shares of LONE in her personal portfolio.]
More Stock News: This Is Bigger than the iPhone!
It could become the mother of all technological revolutions. Apple sold a mere 1 billion iPhones in 10 years but a new breakthrough is expected to generate more than 27 billion devices in just 3 years, creating a $1.7 trillion market.
Zacks has just released a Special Report that spotlights this fast-emerging phenomenon and 6 tickers for taking advantage of it. If you don't buy now, you may kick yourself in 2020.
Click here for the 6 trades >>
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.