For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – November 29, 2018 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here: (https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/339808/lessons-from-growth-stock-manias)
Lessons from Growth Stock Manias
Welcome to Episode #156 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is joined by Zacks Senior Strategist Kevin Cook to discuss the future of the FAANG and other growth stocks.
Are growth stocks still the place to be investing heading into 2019?
Lessons from Stock Market History
Twice in the past 50 years, investors have fallen in love with growth stocks.
1. The Nifty Fifty were the growth stocks that investors bought and held in the 1960s and early 1970s. They were considered such “sure things” that investors didn’t care what they paid to own them. By 1972, as a group, they were trading with a P/E as high as 50. But the stocks plunged in the 1970s and never recovered until the 1980s. By then, they were value stocks.
2. The Tech Titans of the late 1990s were on the cutting edge of technology. Intel, Cisco, Microsoft and Dell were considered to be the companies of the future. Once again, investors threw valuations to the wind and bought in at any price only to see the stocks sink back to earth in the dot-com bust.
Are Growth Stocks Broken?
1. Nvidia (NVDA - Free Report) had been one of the best performing growth stocks over the last 2 years. Shares were up over 200% during that period. But they’ve stumbled in 2018, falling 22% year-to-date. Kevin has strong views on what is happening at Nvidia right now. Tune into the podcast to find out if you should be buying the dip.
2. Facebook (FB - Free Report) has faced its challenges in 2018 as well. Shares are now the cheapest, by P/E, that they’ve been since its 2012 IPO. Time to buy or should you wait?
3. Microsoft (MSFT - Free Report) has been the calm amongst the storm this fall. Shares are up 3.2% over the last month. Is it a growth stock you can hide out in?
4. Planet Fitness (PLNT - Free Report) is up 64% year-to-date as Wall Street continues to believe in its low-cost gym model. Should investors be looking for less popular growth stock names?
5. Etsy (ETSY - Free Report) is another growth stock that has defied the recent sell off. Shares are up 24% over the last month and 133% year-to-date. Is it a hidden growth gem?
Not all growth stocks are created equal but you might be surprised to find out what Kevin and Tracey think about the FAANG stocks right now.
What else should you know about the history of growth stock manias?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
[In full disclosure, Tracey owns shares of MSFT, AMZN and FB in her personal portfolio.]
Today's Stocks from Zacks' Hottest Strategies
It's hard to believe, even for us at Zacks. But while the market gained +21.9% in 2017, our top stock-picking screens have returned +115.0%, +109.3%, +104.9%, +98.6%, and +67.1%.
And this outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. Over the years it has been remarkably consistent. From 2000 - 2017, the composite yearly average gain for these strategies has beaten the market more than 19X over. Maybe even more remarkable is the fact that we're willing to share their latest stocks with you without cost or obligation.
See Them Free>>
Tracey Ryniec manages the Insider Trader and Value Investor portfolios at Zacks.com. She hosts 2 weekly podcasts: Zacks Market Edge Podcast and the Value Investor Podcast. You can also catch her on Twitter at @TraceyRyniec.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Click here for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.