Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. DPS recently reported second-quarter 2017 results, with earnings missing the Zacks Consensus Estimate and revenues beating the same. Earnings & Revenues Second-quarter adjusted earnings per share of $1.25 missed the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.28 by 2.3%. Earnings were flat on a year-over-year basis. Dr Pepper Snapple’s net sales of $1.8 billion surpassed the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.77 billion by 1.7%. Net sales rose 6% year over year driven by solid volume growth. Volume Details Dr Pepper Snapple’s sales volume is measured in two ways: 1) sales volume and 2) bottler case sales (BCS) volume. Sales volume represents concentrates and finished beverages sold to bottlers, retailers and distributors. BCS includes the sale of finished packaged beverages by the company and its bottlers to retailers and independent distributors. Sales volume increased 4% in the quarter, inclusive of the Bai acquisition. In the quarter, BCS volumes were 3%, more than 1% growth recorded in the previous quarter. During the quarter, Carbonated Soft Drink (CSDs) volumes increased 3%, while non-carbonated beverages (NCBs) volumes rose 5%. Geographically, volumes in the U.S. and Canada increased 3%. Meanwhile, volumes rose 6% in Mexico and the Caribbean, higher than the previous quarter’s 3%. Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise Segment Detail Segment-wise, the company generated higher revenues at the Beverage Concentrates (up 4% year over year) and Packaged Beverages (6%) segments. Latin America Beverages segment revenues also increased 11% in the quarter owing to a 6% rise in sales volumes and favorable pricing. Operating Highlights Adjusted gross margin increased 70 basis points (bps) to 60.4%. Adjusted operating margin deteriorated 130 bps to 21.5%. Financials Cash and cash equivalents were $286 million as of Jun 30, 2017, compared with $1,787 million at 2016-end. Long-term obligations were $4,391 million, down from $4,468 million at 2016-end. Net cash provided by operating activities totaled $410 million in the first half of 2017, down 50.8% year over year. Free cash flow came in at $81 million as of Jun 30, 2017, up 2.5%. The company returned $381 million to shareholders in the form of stock repurchases ($177 million) and dividends ($204 million). 2017 Outlook Dr Pepper Snapple continues to expect core earnings per share in the range of $4.56 to $4.66. Currency headwinds are expected to hurt 2017 core EPS by 4 cents, compared to 7 cents expected earlier. The company expects net sales growth of 4.5%, more than 4% expected earlier. The Bai takeover is still expected to add approximately 2% to growth. Organic volume is expected to witness just over 1% growth, while total volume growth will likely be around 2% (including the Bai buyout). Capital expenditure is projected at about 3% of net sales. The company plans to repurchase $450 million to $500 million worth of shares this year. Zacks Rank Dr Pepper Snapple currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here Upcoming Releases in Consumer Staples Sector Mondelez International, Inc. MDLZ is slated to report second-quarter numbers on Aug 2. The Kraft Heinz Company ( KHC Quick Quote KHC - Free Report) and B&G Foods Inc. BGS are scheduled to report second-quarter results on Aug 3. More Stock News: Tech Opportunity Worth $386 Billion in 2017 From driverless cars to artificial intelligence, we've seen an unsurpassed growth of high-tech products in recent months. Yesterday's science-fiction is becoming today's reality. Despite all the innovation, there is a single component no tech company can survive without. Demand for this critical device will reach $387 billion this year alone, and it's likely to grow even faster in the future.
Zacks has released a brand-new Special Report to help you take advantage of this exciting investment opportunity. Most importantly, it reveals 4 stocks with massive profit potential.
See these stocks now>>