For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – October 4, 2018 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here: (https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/326063/how-to-invest-in-the-hot-medical-device-innovators)
How to Invest in Hot Medical Device Innovators
Welcome to Episode #149 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is joined by Zacks Senior Strategist Kevin Cook, who is also the editor of Zacks newsletter the Healthcare Innovators, to talk about the companies that are innovating in the medical device category.
While a lot of the press goes to companies trying to find cures for cancer or Alzheimer’s, other companies are focusing on devices that are making it easier to treat chronic conditions or perform surgeries.
How can investors find these companies?
And should you be playing for a buyout by one of the big guys?
5 Companies Innovating in Medical Devices
1. Intuitive Surgical (ISRG - Free Report) makes robotic assisted surgical devices called da Vinci Robotic Assisted Surgical Systems. Shares have been on a tear and aren’t cheap, at 53x, but sales are expected to rise 17.9% this year.
2. BioTelemetry (BEAT - Free Report) has a market cap of $2 billion. It makes wireless heart monitoring devices and has partnered with Apple, and its iWatch, to develop its data system further. In the second quarter, BEAT posted its highest quarterly revenue ever and raised guidance. It’s trading with a forward P/E of 42, but revenue is expected to rise 37% this year.
3. Edwards Lifesciences (EW - Free Report) makes heart valves. This large cap company has a forward P/E of 36 and is expected to grow earnings by 22% this year. Shares are up another 45% this year as revenue is expected to rise 11%.
4. Penumbra (PEN - Free Report) makes innovative therapies including catheter focused tools. It has a $5 billion market cap. It recently announced that its Penumbra JET 7 and JET D Reperfusion Catheters would enable physicians to extract thrombus effectively and safely in acute ischemic stroke patients. Sales are expected to rise 27% in 2018 but its P/E is pretty steep, at 434x.
5. Vericel Corp. (VCEL - Free Report) develops therapies for the treatment of patients with autologous (patient’s own) cells. In Dec 2016, it got FDA approval for the MACI procedure which uses a third generation autologous cellularized scaffold product that is indicated for the repair of single or multiple symptomatic, full-thickness cartilage defects of the adult knee. This method could be used on patients instead of knee replacement. Sales are expected to be up 27% this year.
All of these stocks are growth stocks as both earnings and revenue are growing in the double digits.
What else do you need to know about investing in companies making cutting edge medical devices and products?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
Wall Street’s Next Amazon
Zacks EVP Kevin Matras believes this familiar stock has only just begun its climb to become one of the greatest investments of all time. It’s a once-in-a-generation opportunity to invest in pure genius.
Click for details >>
Tracey Ryniec manages the Insider Trader and Value Investor portfolios at Zacks.com. She hosts 2 weekly podcasts: Zacks Market Edge Podcast and the Value Investor Podcast. You can also catch her on Twitter at @TraceyRyniec.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Click here for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.