Back to top

COL Gets Acquired by UTX, Collins Aerospace Comes Into Being

Read MoreHide Full Article

Rockwell Collins Inc.’s acquisition by United Technologies Corp. (UTX - Free Report) for $30 billion has been completed. The transaction has formed an industry-leading aerospace systems supplier — Collins Aerospace Systems.

Notably, the unit has been created by merging United Technologies’ Aerospace Systems division with Rockwell Collins.

Specifications of Collins Aerospace

The newly formed unit comes with net annual sales worth $23 billion and an investment of $3.1 billion in research and development. While 60% of the total sales at this unit comprise original equipment manufacturers sales, the remaining 40% comes from after-market sales.

Currently, Collins Aerospace includes six strategic business units — aerostructures, avionics, interiors, mechanical systems, mission systems, and power & controls. Through these divisions, Collins Aerospace will supply electrical, mechanical and software solutions to customers across the commercial, regional, business aviation and military sectors. 

What Happens to Rockwell’s Shareholders?

Now that the acquisition is complete, Rockwell Collins will seize trading in the U.S. share market as an individual public entity as it has become a subunit of United Technologies. As stated earlier in September 2017, when the transaction was being proposed, each of Rockwell Collins’ shareowners will receive $93.33 per share in cash and $46.67 in shares of United Technologies’ common stock in the merger.

Benefits of the Merger

The latest buyout has created one of the world’s largest aircraft-equipment manufacturers. It should help the combined company to become a more critical supplier of components to aircraft companies such as Boeing (BA - Free Report) and Airbus Group .This, in turn, is expected to further strengthen the new company’s position in the aerospace-defense space, thereby benefitting its shareholders.

As a result, United Technologies anticipates the acquisition to be 15-20 cents accretive to adjusted EPS in 2019, including the estimated impact of approximately $650 million of incremental intangible amortization associated with the transaction. The company also expects $500-$750 million of accretion to free cash flow from Rockwell Collins during the same period.

Price Performance

Rockwell Collins has outperformed the industry in a year's time. Shares of the company have gained 6.5% compared with the industry’s 5.6% rise.

Zacks Rank & Other Key Picks

Rockwell Collins currently carries a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). A few other top-ranked companies in the same sector are Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings (AJRD), Raytheon Co. (RTN) and Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT).

While Aerojet Rocketdyne sports a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), Raytheon and Lockheed Martin carry a Zacks Rank #2. You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank stocks here.

Aerojet Rocketdyne delivered an average positive earnings surprise of 19.27% in the last four quarters. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for 2018 earnings has moved up 43.3% to $1.82 over the past 90 days.

Raytheon delivered average positive earnings surprise of 6.71% in the trailing four quarters. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for 2018 earnings has climbed 1.7% to $10.10 cents over the past 90 days.

Lockheed Martin pulled off average positive earnings surprise of 13.92% for the trailing four quarters. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for 2018 earnings has moved 2.9% north to $17.51 over the past 90 days.

The Hottest Tech Mega-Trend of All

Last year, it generated $8 billion in global revenues. By 2020, it's predicted to blast through the roof to $47 billion. Famed investor Mark Cuban says it will produce "the world's first trillionaires," but that should still leave plenty of money for regular investors who make the right trades early.

See Zacks' 3 Best Stocks to Play This Trend >>




In-Depth Zacks Research for the Tickers Above


Normally $25 each - click below to receive one report FREE:


The Boeing Company (BA) - free report >>

United Technologies Corporation (UTX) - free report >>

More from Zacks Analyst Blog

You May Like