Back to top

Target's (TGT) Q4 Earnings Meet Estimates, '19 View Upbeat

Read MoreHide Full Article

Shares of Target Corporation (TGT - Free Report) are up roughly 6% during the pre-market trading hours following decent fourth-quarter fiscal 2018 performance and an upbeat fiscal 2019 view. This Minneapolis-based company’s impressive holiday sales number formed the perfect base for the final quarter. Robust traffic, favorable store comps and a surge in comparable digital sales are clearly yielding results.

Let’s Delve Deeper

This operator of general merchandise stores reported adjusted earnings of $1.53 per share that came in line with the Zacks Consensus Estimate and improved 12.5% from the prior-year period. This year-over-year growth can be attributable to fall in SG&A expenses, lower net interest expense and share repurchase activity.

Target now projects fiscal 2019 adjusted earnings in the band of $5.75-$6.05 per share, up from $5.39 reported in fiscal 2018. For the first quarter, adjusted earnings are envisioned to be between $1.32 and $1.52. The consensus estimates for the first quarter and fiscal 2019 are pegged at $1.44 and $5.59, respectively.

The company generated sales of $22,734 million that remained flat year over year, while other revenue fell 2.5% to $243 million. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the quarter is $23,147 million.

Target Corporation Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise

 

 

Target Corporation Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise | Target Corporation Quote

Target is deploying resources to enhance omni-channel capacities, coming up with new brands, remodeling or refurbishing stores, and expanding same-day delivery options. Target has undertaken rationalization of supply chain with same-day delivery of in-store purchases along with technology and process improvements. We note that shares of this Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) have gained roughly 5% in a year compared with the industry’s growth of 4%.

Meanwhile, comparable sales for the quarter increased 5.3% compared with 3.6% growth witnessed in the year-ago period. The number of transactions rose 4.5%, while the average transaction amount improved 0.8%. Comparable digital channel sales surged 31% and added 2.4 percentage points to comparable sales. Management now anticipates comparable sales growth in low-to-mid-single digit during the both first quarter and fiscal 2019.

Gross margin contracted 40 basis points to 25.7% due to increased digital fulfillment and supply chain costs, partly mitigated by the benefit of merchandising strategies. Operating margin remained flat at 4.9%.

Target’s debit card penetration contracted 30 basis points to 12.6%, while credit card penetration fell 30 basis points to 11%. Total REDcard penetration declined to 23.6% from 24.2% in the year-ago quarter.

Other Financial Details

During the quarter, Target repurchased shares worth $617 million and paid dividends of $334 million. The company still had about $1.6 billion remaining under its $5 billion share buyback program. The company ended the quarter with cash and cash equivalents of $1,556 million, long-term debt and other borrowings of $10,223 million and shareholders’ investment of $11,297 million.

Interested in Retail Space? Check These 3 Trending Stocks

Dollar Tree (DLTR - Free Report) has a long-term earnings growth rate of 13.8% and carries a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here.

Ollie's Bargain (OLLI - Free Report) has a long-term earnings growth rate of 24.7% and carries a Zacks Rank #2.

Walmart (WMT - Free Report) delivered an average positive earnings surprise of 5.1% in the trailing four quarters. The company carries a Zacks Rank #2.

Breakout Biotech Stocks with Triple-Digit Profit Potential

The biotech sector is projected to surge beyond $775 billion by 2024 as scientists develop treatments for thousands of diseases. They’re also finding ways to edit the human genome to literally erase our vulnerability to these diseases.

Zacks has just released Century of Biology: 7 Biotech Stocks to Buy Right Now to help investors profit from 7 stocks poised for outperformance. Our recent biotech recommendations have produced gains of +98%, +119% and +164% in as little as 1 month. The stocks in this report could perform even better.

See these 7 breakthrough stocks now>>



More from Zacks Analyst Blog

You May Like