- (1:00) - A Look Back At 2019: Index and ETF Performance Overview
- (11:30) - Tracey’s Top Stock Picks
- (20:00) - Episode Roundup: VTV, VUG, RPV, RPG, VBR, VBK, AMWD, DHI, JPM
Welcome to Episode #169 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
2019 was the year of the “great rotation” where, for a brief time, investors sold growth stocks and bought value.
But it didn’t last.
Value stocks, as a group, still underperformed the S&P 500 including both large cap and small cap value.
But looking on the bright side, the large cap value ETFs like the Vanguard Value ETF (VTV - Free Report) and the Invesco S&P 500 Pure Value ETF (RPV - Free Report) rebounded in 2019.
The Vanguard Value ETF is up 20.2% year-to-date and the Invesco Pure Value ETF has gained 17.7%.
But what if you invested in individual value stocks instead?
Could you get a better return?
3 Hot Value Stocks Breaking Out in 2019
1. American Woodmark Corp. (AMWD - Free Report) saw a big sell-off in 2018 on fears about the housing market and the consumer. This kitchen cabinet maker was cheap. Shares have rallied 80% in 2019 compared to just a 25% gain for the S&P 500. And they’re still cheap, with a forward P/E of just 14.
2. DR Horton (DHI - Free Report) , along with many of the other home builders, has also been hot this year now that the Fed is cutting rates and mortgage rates have hit new lows. These shares are up 57% year-to-date and yet they’re still cheap with a forward P/E of 11.3.
3. JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM - Free Report) caught a bid in the second half of 2019. Shares are up 35% year-to-date to new 52-week highs. Yet, this mega-bank is still a value, with a forward P/E of just 13.
What else should you know about what worked, and what didn’t, for value investors in 2019?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
5 Stocks Set to Double
Each was hand-picked by a Zacks expert as the #1 favorite stock to gain +100% or more in 2020. Each comes from a different sector and has unique qualities and catalysts that could fuel exceptional growth.
Most of the stocks in this report are flying under Wall Street radar, which provides a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
Today, See These 5 Potential Home Runs >>