Back to top

Analyst Blog

This page is temporarily not available.  Please check later as it should be available shortly. If you have any questions, please email customer support at support@zacks.com or call 800-767-3771 ext.  9339.

Within a week, the satellite TV operator, DISH Network Corp. (DISH - Analyst Report), suffered two consecutive setbacks with respect to its plan of entering the U.S. wireless market. On Jun 19, the company decided not to pursue the acquisition of Sprint Nextel Corp. (S - Analyst Report). In Apr 2013, DISH had made a counter bid of $25.5 billion to acquire Sprint, the third-largest telecom operator in the U.S. In Oct 2012, Softbank of Japan made a $20.1 billion bid for Sprint. Later, Softbank increased its offer price to $21.6 billion.

Yesterday, DISH withdrew its offer to acquire the remaining 49% stake of the wireless wholesaler, Clearwire Corp. . Sprint is the 51% shareholder of Clearwire. The battle for Clearwire started in Dec 2012, when Sprint proposed a $2.97 per share bid to acquire the remaining 49%. In Jan 2013, DISH offered a counter bid of $3.30 per share.On May 21, 2013, Sprint hiked its bid to $3.40 per share. DISH further raised its bid to a substantial $4.40 per share of Clearwire. However, recently, Sprint hiked its offer price from $3.40 to $5 per share, which forced DISH to abandon its Clearwire venture.

During the last couple of years, DISH has constructed a huge wireless/satellite spectrum base. These precious airwaves are much coveted by wireless operators. DISH estimated its portfolio of wireless spectrums can be monetized for around $10 billion.

However, the deployment of a nationwide wireless network is a very expensive and time consuming affair. Thus, DISH is trying to acquire or merge with an existing wireless operator to avail a readymade wireless infrastructure and an established subscriber base. This network can be improved significantly after integrating DISH’s own airwaves.

Several analysts believe that DISH may now pursue T-Mobile US Inc. (TMUS - Snapshot Report) for this purpose. T-Mobile is the fourth-largest wireless operator in the U.S. and its majority is controlled by Deutsch Telekom. Earlier this year, T-Mobile expanded its scale of operation after acquiring MetroPCS. Deutsch Telekom has expressed its desire to divest its U.S. operations. DISH Network currently has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

Learn more

Start for as little as $4.50 per trade.

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
DIXIE GRP IN DXYN 15.84 +7.90%
BOFI HLDG IN BOFI 85.30 +4.97%
RAMBUS INC RMBS 12.31 +4.41%
VIPSHOP HOLD VIPS 148.73 +4.35%
NETFLIX INC NFLX 345.74 +4.32%