Back to top

Analyst Blog

Energy infrastructure provider, Williams Partners L.P. (WPZ - Snapshot Report) reported that its Gulfstar One project, the first spar-based floating production system, is nearing completion in the eastern deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The project has achieved key construction milestones and made significant progress on a tieback expansion.

In February, the crew completed mooring the floating spar to the ocean floor, while Gulfstar’s three-level topside structure was lifted and installed in March. Anchored 135 miles southeast of New Orleans in about 4,000 feet of water, the floating production system is likely to serve as a hub that accumulates production. Thereafter, the system will merge production handling services with oil and gas export pipeline services, which supply Williams' downstream oil and gas gathering and processing services.

On start-up, the Gulfstar’s base design will generate about 60,000 barrels of oil per day and 135 million standard cubic feet of gas per day with additional tieback capacity. Currently, hook-up and commissioning activities are in progress. Gulfstar is scheduled to start serving anchor customers in the third quarter of 2014 and Gunflint in 2016.

In January, Gulfstar executed further agreements with Gunflint field owners – Noble Energy Inc. (NBL - Analyst Report), Ecopetrol America Inc., Marathon Oil Company and Samson Offshore, LLC – apart from the previously announced commitments.

The Gunflint tieback is planned and engineered with alterations expected to be completed after the base Gulfstar project is completed. The key components of Gulfstar were made entirely in the United States. This facilitates fast replacement of parts and reduces platform downtime.

The Gulfstar One project has been developed by Williams Partners, which holds a 51% interest in it. The remaining 49% interest is held by Marubeni Corporation.

Williams Partners currently carries a Zacks Rank #4 (Sell). However, there are Zacks Ranked #1 (Strong Buy) stocks in the oil and gas sector – Valero Energy Corporation (VLO - Analyst Report) and Patterson-UTI Energy Inc. (PTEN - Analyst Report) – that appear rewarding for the short term.

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
SUPER MICRO… SMCI 26.98 +10.17%
CANADIAN SO… CSIQ 38.30 +8.07%
BANCO DO BR… BDORY 16.78 +8.05%
CENTURY ALU… CENX 26.97 +7.97%
WILLDAN GRO… WLDN 11.38 +5.86%