Back to top

Analyst Blog

Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX - Analyst Report) has announced the start of commercial production at the Pueblo Viejo gold mine in the Dominican Republic. Construction of the Pueblo Viejo mine, in which Barrick holds a 60% stake, involved capital cost of about $3.7 billion. Goldcorp Inc. (GG - Analyst Report) owns the remaining 40% stake in the mine.

During its construction phase, the project created more than 11,000 direct jobs and is expected to generate about 2,000 direct jobs and nearly 10,000 indirect jobs during its mine life of about 25 years with Dominicans accounting for nearly 90% of the full-time workforce.

Barrick’s 60% share of the 2013 output is expected to be in the range of 500,000-650,000 ounces. For the first full five years of operation, Barrick’s share is expected to be in the range of 625,000-675,000 ounces.

On the other hand, Goldcorp expects its share of gold production from Pueblo Viejo in 2013 to be in the range of 330,000 to 435,000 ounces. In its first full five years of operation, Goldcorp's share of annual gold production is forecast to be between 415,000 and 450,000 ounces.

The mine is expected to come into full capacity by the second half of 2013. Pueblo Viejo is one of the largest gold assets in the world, and is poised to become a world-class operation.

Barrick, with a number of world class mines under its jurisdiction, is an unhedged producer of gold and enjoys significant leverage to gold prices.

We currently have a long-term Underperform recommendation on Barrick Gold. The company, which competes with AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (AU - Snapshot Report) and Newmont Mining Corp. (NEM - Analyst Report), maintains a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

Goldcorp is one of the world's fastest growing senior gold producers. We currently have a long-term Neutral recommendation on the stock. The company carries a short-term Zacks Rank #5 Rank (Strong Sell).

 

Please login to Zacks.com or register to post a comment.

New to Zacks?

Start Here

Zacks Investment Research

Close

Are you a new Zacks Member or a visitor to Zacks.com?

Top Zacks Features

My Portfolio Tracker

Is it Time to Sell?

One of the most important steps you can take today is to set up your portfolio tracker on Zacks.com. Once you do, you'll be notified of major events affecting your stocks and/or funds with daily email alerts.

More Zacks Resources

Zacks Rank Home - Evaluate your stocks and use the Zacks Rank to eliminate the losers and keep the winners.

Mutual Fund Rank Home - Evaluate your funds with the Mutual Fund Rank for both your personal and retirement funds.

Stock/Mutual Fund Screening - Find better stocks and mutual funds. The ones most likely to beat the market and provide a positive return.

My Portfolio - Track your Portfolio and find out where your stocks/mutual funds stack up with the Zacks Rank.

Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers for Zacks #1 Rank Top Movers

Company Symbol Price %Chg
RPC INC RES 24.91 +8.35%
LITHIA MOTO… LAD 94.59 +4.60%
DELTA AIR L… DAL 39.15 +3.90%
FLAMEL TECH… FLML 14.51 +3.50%
SOUTHWEST A… LUV 28.87 +2.92%